Painted Stormguard Chapel

My plan to get the Stormguard Kickstarter terrain pieces printed up in April hit a few snags. For one thing, I ran out of filament. Then I decided to replace the extruder. Finally, I got sidelined by printing up a bunch of sci-fi stuff for a friend (pics forthcoming). But I’m back on track, and while I wile away the hours waiting for these fairly large pieces to print, I did get the previously printed chapel painted.

This is a good looking piece with a lot of playability, and while printed in five pieces is one of the larger pieces I have created.


Installing a new extruder

Popular consensus is that while the Ender 3 is a great printer, the plastic extruder guide is a distinct weak point. The plastic part can be sawed away at by the PLA filament in just a matter of months. I’ve only had mine since December, and this is what it looks like:

So I did some research and found a quality but inexpensive metal replacement. It didn’t take me long to replace it; most of the time was spent because I had lost the hex wrench that fit one particular screw and ended up having to use my bike wrench. The new one looks good, and seems to be helping with the print quality.

April is Stormguard month

A while back I backed the Stormguard: City in Ruins kickstarter and in late March the STL files shipped. It is a huge lot, and all the pieces look beautiful, so I thought that in order to get my money’s worth I should try to print all of them.

Just a small sample.

The above represents the first of my prints: the chapel (which was in five parts), seven out of eight “ruined pillar pieces”, and one of the four “scatter terrain” pieces. If I can one medium-to-large size or two small size pieces done each day, I should be able to complete the entire collection in a single month (assuming nothing goes wrong, like run out of filament or the printer throws a shoe).

Comments always welcome!


I was a big fan of the original Death Race 2000, and even liked the remake Death Race (and perhaps tolerated several of its sequels). I’ll freely confess that I wasn’t as huge a fan of the “Mad Max” movies (The Road Warrior, etc.) because in hindsight I find Mel Gibson a little hard to take. But I have always liked the idea of demolition derby/automobile combat as a miniatures game. I own Car Wars (including the “booklet” era) and Dark Future, but I always was bummed out that the cars involved were not scaled to Hot Wheels or Matchbox size.

Then came Gaslands, another Osprey wargame out of the same vein as Ronin or Kobolds and Cobblestones (more on that one later) where lightweight rules and an inexpensive rulebook are the way to go. The best part? You use toy cars that you can convert to make your team. The next best part? There are a ton of patterns for plastic weapons for Gaslands on Thingiverse, not to mention terrain, gates, even the movement stencils.

So away I went…

In the game you can field cars, motorcycles, trunks, even helicopters, using a budget of points (called “cans”) with which you both purchase and outfit your vehicles. You can also buy crew upgrades as well. Taking a sponsor also allows you access to certain special abilities as well.

At about a dollar a pop plus some very cheap plastic print jobs, this might be my least expensive miniatures game ever. Hopefully I will get a team or two done and some in-game pictures posted soon.

Kingdoms of Hell

A bit ago I backed the Kickstarter for Kingdoms of Hell by Ill Gotten Games. It was a combination of 3D printer files for demon miniatures, some Hell-themed terrain, and in time rules for an RPG and miniatures game.

I was mostly interested in the miniatures, because they looked cool and I wanted to give printing miniatures a try.

Demon Lord
Bloated tormentors and Bloated champion (center)
Barbed tormentors and Barbed champion (center)

I used a profile I found online, but the miniatures still had bits of “fuzz” on them that needed to be cleaned off.

When it comes to printing miniatures, I am of a mixed mind. On on hand, you can print as many as you want, given time and filament. On the other hand, miniatures are super time-intensive and frequently lack good detail. It may be that I just need more practice, but we will see.

Comments welcome.

The Living Hall and the Elven Portal

Both from Printable Scenery.

The portal turned out to be particularly tricky because my x-axis belt was loose and there was some shifting that was occurring that not only looked bad but also I think make the thin columns more fragile and both of them broke. Thankfully I glued them back on. They are still fragile, but hopefully will hold.

Skull Pits and an Arcane Plynth

One of the favorite bits of terrain from the “DEAD” Kickstarter by Printable Scenery were the Burbling Pits because they seemed small and easy to print and also useful for both the odd bit of dungeon decor and wargaming difficult terrain. These two are not burbling, per se, but are rather then skull variation (there is also lava/slime and water/ice).

Close up, you can see the “topographical map” effect, which as far as I can tell is fairly unavoidable but thankfully isn’t that visible from a typical gaming distance. I’ll see how they paint up.

This little fellow is a free Arcane Plynth from Thingiverse. This is straight-up dungeon decor/scatter terrain and best of us was quick, easy, and cheap to print. Thanks Thingiverse!